Job Description - Preschool Assistant Teacher
Job Title: Preschool Assistant Teacher – Neighborhood House
Reports To: Associate Preschool Director
Classification: Full-Time (40 hours per week), Non-Exempt
Effective Date: August 2021
Under the direction of the Group Teacher, the Assistant Teacher is responsible to provide a fun and safe environment for our children. The Assistant Teacher works with the children in the classroom to help promote their learning and development while assisting the Group Teacher.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Collaborate with teachers to monitor the development of each child
• Assist the Group Teacher with the curriculum, activities and the cleanliness of the room
• Participate in the arrival and the dismissal of the children
• Participate in all staff meetings
• Other duties as assigned
• CDA – Child Development Associate Certification
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Minimum of 1-year prior childcare experience in a classroom setting
• Bi-lingual is a plus
• Teamwork-Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
• Adaptability-Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Professionalism-Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
• Attendance/Punctuality-Is Consistently at work and is on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
• Safety and Security-Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Frequently required to stand
• Frequently required to walk
• Frequently required to sit
• Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
• Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl
• Continually required to talk or hear
• Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions
• Occasionally required to lift/carry items up to 30 pounds